Edicts of Nancy

The blogosphere's most persecuted Christian!

Friday, August 10, 2007

Friday random ten - now with statistics!

Friday filler blogging continues, this time with a glimpse at what came up on my iPod. Is anything more fascinating? Certainly not for me!

Portrait - Alastair Galbraith
Same Old Routine - Charalambides
Dere Geliyor Dere - The Ex & Tom Cora
Isa Lei - Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt
This Is A Happy Garden - The Moles
The Ugly Vision - Guided By Voices
Point Of Disgust - Low
Yellow Lights - Marissa Nadler
Phenomenal Cat - The Kinks
Caesar - The Cannanes

I've calculated the average date of release for these tracks to be 1994 (technically it's 1994.4, which I guess would be somewhere around late April), which feels like a lifetime ago: I had just landed my first real job (the kind that has benefits, you know?) slinging hash for a Satanic entertainment law firm in Century City, and I was still living in an overpriced apartment in Westwood from my undergrad days. I was reaching the end of a period I've come to call Hurricane Joshua (officially pronounced dead in October of 1994), three years marked by Josh's increasingly uncontrolled drinking (and joblessness) and my mounting credit card debt. Good times. One of the few bright spots of those days were the periodic mailorder record catalogs I'd get from the likes of Scat, Matador, Ajax, & Forced Exposure, all of which felt like oxygen masks dropping into my lap from the overhead storage compartments above. At least something was bringing a little joy into my life. So thanks for the memories, Indie Rock; may they live on forever on my hard drive. Praise Him!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At August 12, 2007 1:25 PM, Blogger proudprogressive said…

    Hmmmm 1994ish I believe I was experiencing Hurricane Eileen - caught in the eye of that one for way too long. Talk about the suck zone. Dear Lord ! Unlike you though each catelog that came during those times was a stinging reminder of the grand theft that occurring in my life. Ah the memories. Thank heavens I found Pat Robertson and then Jesus. Those dark days hearded me into the loving arms of my Personal secretary aak ! I mean Savior !

    (oh there is gonna be a lot of Hail Mary's for that one)

    Praise him !

     

Post a Comment

<< Home