Edicts of Nancy

The blogosphere's most persecuted Christian!

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Nancy Beth vs. the nancies

Despite the few meager contributions of homosexuals to science, art, economics, music, mathematics, politics, and popular culture, Sister Nancy Beth frowns upon the idea of homosexuality, and I vehemently object to its practice. That's why I was gladdened to read Prayer Warrior Andrew Sullivan's death knell for institutionalized nancyhood. What's even more gratifying is to see its ideas have already started taking root. As one of his many email correspondents (Andrew, why do you spend so much time at the computer?) shows, the "End of Gay Culture" is the new self-loathing:
I can remember when I was still in High School laying in bed at night telling myself that there was no way on earth that I could be gay. Not me I would say, I'm not GAY. I don't act gay, I don't dress gay. How can I be gay? I play football and I kiss girls! I'm not gay! But, like every gay man out there, I had to take it in strides; I had to deal with it my own way. And I did just that. The rest was history. I am out to pretty much everyone I know and meet. I am so much better for it. I had made a big deal out of something that was not a big deal.

I am writing you because I am living proof of what you are taking about. I have no idea what the Gay Culture of the 70s and 80s is about. I had no idea that AIDS had such a huge impact on gay life. I am completely ignorant of the pain and tragedy endured by the older generation. I respect what they did. I live my life the way I want. I am who I am. I have the freedom to be 'out' and not have to worry or hide who I really am. I guess I take it for granted. I guess I am guilty of that. I HATE the stereotypes and the labels put on gay people. I hate the idea of West Hollywood and the Rainbow. I am normal. I do not like the idea that I have to identify myself as gay.
Thank heavens there's now a plethora of healthy messages to guide these fledgling selfish hedonists away from Satan's grips. Just think of the unchecked danger to American society they would present if they fell under the sway of those dangerous camp icons of the past. Good work, Andrew!


Post a Comment

<< Home